Notifying Utility Providers

conveyancing image


It is obviously important to notify utility providers that you are vacating your present home to make sure that you are not responsible for expenses incurred by your successor and equally you want to be sure of a seamless supply of essential services to your new home.
Notifying utility suppliers has become much more complicated in recent years with the ever multiplying numbers of new supplies. We hope that the following is helpful:-

Council Tax
The contact details for our Local Authorities are:
Eastbourne Borough Council Telephone 01323 410000
Lewes District Council
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Telephone 01273 471600

Brighton and Hove City Council Telephone 01273 290000

Wealden District Council Telephone Hailsham Office 01323 443322
Telephone Crowborough Office 01892 653311

Rother District Council Telephone 01424 787000

It may be wise to set up a redirection. There is a charge of approximately £40.00 for a redirection for a year.
Contact  for further information.
You may wish to take the opportunity to reduce or eliminate junk mail.

TV Licencing
It is possible to ‘move’ your TV Licence to your new address. To arrange to move or organise a new TV Licence.
Contact or telephone 0870 242 3349

It may be sensible to check that the property you are buying has an existing telephone line. If a line has to be connected, BT may charge you for this. You may need to make enquiry of your telephone supplier as to whether it is possible to transfer your existing number or whether calls can be re-directed to your new number.
Useful contacts:-

Tiscali (now talktalk) 

Give your gas supplier as much notice of your moving date as possible. Before moving, read your meter and keep a note of the reading. Telephone your supplier.
You need to find out who is supplying gas to your new property and decide whether you wish to remain with them or organise a new supplier. Again, read the meter on your new property when you arrive. Remember to ask your vendor about where the gas and electric meters are.

As with gas suppliers, your electricity provider will need maximum notice of your intended move. The company may wish to read the meters but in any event, read them yourself and keep a note of the reading

Water companies need to be notified as far in advance as possible of your intended move. If you supply is metered, you will need to arrange for the meter to be read. Consider whether you wish the supply at your new property to be metered as it can make significant savings.
Contact Southern Water  
South East Water  
Water Guide UK 

Moving home is a good opportunity to review who is supplying your utilities and to see whether these can be provided more cheaply or from more environmentally friendly suppliers.
Contact Energy Helpline 
Money Saving Expert 

Electoral Register
You can register to vote your new address by going to 



nadine v1
Nadine Ashford

robin v1
Robin Comber
Chartered Legal Executive

nicky v1
Nicola Davies
Chartered Legal Executive


lynn v1
Lynn Parris
Conveyancing Executive

rorry v1
Rory McColl

contact llb
question llb
callback llb



Lawyers For Life

Lawson Lewis Blakers are able to offer specialist advice..


Out Of Hours

There are appointments out of hours available if you need them, please ask when you speak to the secretary or your lawyer.