Energy Performance Certificates from 1st October 2008

conveyancing image


Energy Performance Certificates from 1st October 2008

As from 1st October 2008, all landlords granting new tenancies of either commercial or residential property and all sellers of commercial or residential property must supply an EPC to their new tenant or buyer. This applies even if the property is not marketed and includes transactions between family members or associated companies. There are, however, a few exemptions:-

  1. lease renewals to the same tenants
  2. buildings being sold for demolition
  3. places of worship
  4. temporary buildings with a planned time of use of 2 years or less
  5. detached buildings with a total useful floor are of less than 50m2;
  6. some workshops and non residential agricultural buildings with low energy demand.

Energy Performance Certificates are prepared by especially trained Accredited Energy Assessors.

Commercial EPC’s will need an inspection from an Accredited Energy Assessor who has more advanced qualifications and this will take longer to prepare and cost more.

Both types of EPC’s will be valid for up to 10 years unless major alterations are made to the property.


The fine for not providing a commercial EPC is a minimum of £500 and maximum of £5,000 ( depending upon Rateable Value), and the fine for not providing a residential EPC is £200.

So if you are considering selling, buying or renting any type of property either commercial or residential, require assistance in finding a suitable Energy Assessor or simply require some helpful advice then there’s only one place to come. Just pick up the phone for a free introductory discussion.



nadine v1
Nadine Ashford

robin v1
Robin Comber
Chartered Legal Executive

nicky v1
Nicola Davies
Chartered Legal Executive


lynn v1
Lynn Parris
Conveyancing Executive

rorry v1
Rory McColl

contact llb
question llb
callback llb



Lawyers For Life

Lawson Lewis Blakers are able to offer specialist advice..


Out Of Hours

There are appointments out of hours available if you need them, please ask when you speak to the secretary or your lawyer.